Sunday 3 March 2013

NW3: The Hill

Having a gastropub right on your doorstep is both a blessing and a curse - easy to roll home from, difficult to say no to.

The Hill is halfway up Haverstock Hill and invites diners into a formal yet cosy setting that reminds me of something half way between Paris and New York. The tall mahogany bar is by far my preference over the square tables set with cloth napkins and silver - much more relaxed.

Food is good but on the pricey side. The Sunday roasts - plentiful with thick slices of meat, roasted vegetables and slightly too crunchy yorkies - usually sell out mid-afternoon. Finding myself in such a predicament, tonight I tried the burger. Soft, juicy and not at all greasy. My flatmate had sticky ribs which were as healthy as they sound but sweet and meaty.

Our bill came to £36 including a coffee and lemonade which was a little extravagant for Sunday night spending (I really should have spent the equivalent on filling the fridge).

I dare say next weekend we'll end up in the same place at the same time, but would I seek this place out if I lived more than a stones throw away? Yes, but only for a reason. Sunday nights should be spent somewhere with a bit more soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment