Sunday 7 November 2010

Homeward Bound and Very Cold

On Thursday night I left the cold and rainy skyscrapers of New York City for the grey, freezing granite of Aberdeen. Driving up the street to my flat it seemed like I had never left. The same cracks in the pavement remained. The same shops stayed rooted to their same spots. The chill in the air was as cold as it had ever been. Maybe it was my great sadness of returning home, but I am sticking with the belief that the ice in the air was reality.
I digress. The coldness felt in Scotland is different to that of anywhere else. It chills you to the bone, and once the great Queen of cold has sucked from you every degree of heat that she can, it stays that way until Spring. Although I am fortunate to have the fur of many a rabbit to keep myself warm, it still isn't enough at times, and the sheer tights and mini-tube dress I sported on my first day back were not cutting the mustard in the heating war.

Poor after months in a different city, I still feel no remorse in making my first "welcome home" treat a thick, knitted, cream Topshop jumper. Constructed much like a thick scarf, the needles used to knit this cosy sanctuary were no mistake in creating a perfectly over-sized jumper that can insipire a smile even on the most frosty of mornings.

Now all I need are a few choice items to see me through the long wintery days, and cold, below zero nights. Top on the list are boots (with practically high heels), new skinny jeans, tights that are thicker than my skin, and definitely a lot of velvet (unflattering but I just cannot say no).


OK so these are awfully high...BUT...they have an in-built platform!!!! My favorite shoe saying always convinces me to buy, but doesn't always prove itself. That said, these will look SO good with a long skirt and my new jumper. So good. Topshop, £120.
You can NEVER go wrong with leopard print in my opinion. A punk at heart, leopard never fails to add an ounce of sex regardless of how the rest of your attire looks. ASOS, £96.




Proof if you needed it - I never did - that tights are way sexy...well if you remove all other clothing anyway. These merino wool warmers are a little pricy but don't expect to put your finger through them mid-pulling-up. Walford, £109.




These cute socks will keep your toes toasty and if the temperature rises (please God let it) you may even be able to forgo the tights for a day or two. Also if you roll them below the knee you can say goodbye to the dreaded knee muffin top. I'm thinking these will great with my semi-new Hasbeens.




Possible under-the-graduation-gown-dress? I think so. Love, love, love! Urban Outfitters, £50. Bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment